6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel > Intakes
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Head Flunky

Default Volant CAI Install and Review For the 6.7L Cummins

First, I can't say enough about the folks at Lethal Diesel. This is the second order from them and all I can say is wow! I ordered the Volant on Monday afternoon and it was here on Wednesday and that was with standard shipping.

So the Fed Ex guy left it at the gate and I tossed it in the back of the truck and laid it all out.

The filter isn't like anything I've ever seen before and I'm already feeling better about driving my truck up and down the dirt road I live on.

The Review

It doesn't come with instructions but it's really not that hard to install. (See Below)

I'll finish this here in 3 days after I run a tank of Diesel through her...................that is if I can keep my foot off the floor.....................maybe I should run 2 tanks to be fair. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-1.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-2.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-3.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-4.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-5.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-install7.jpg  

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10

Last edited by Squid; 06-22-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Links
Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Head Flunky

Tools Needed

2 Straight Slot Screwdriver for the clamps. 1 long and a stubby or (5/16 wrench).

A Phillips Screwdriver for the self tapping screws used for the Maf and Air Temp sensors.

T15 Torx driver or 9/32 socket for the Maf and Air Temp Sensor Removal.

9/16 Socket or Wrench for mounting the Volant Air Box

Small Cutters of some kind to cut a tie strap for strain relief of the Maf and Air Temp sensor wiring Harness.

The install.

Remove the Nut at the front of the box and the hose clamp from the back of the box. Push the intake hose back from the box and then just yank up on the box and it'll come out. (Now reach down and remove the grommet that the box was plugged into and install back on the bottom of the Intake box and go ahead and put the nut back up front so if you ever want to reinstall the old Intake you can.)

Now remove the 3 screws holding the MAF and Temp Sensor and pull up on both of the sensors and swing them out of the way. (I put them in a plastic bag and use a tie I save from garden hose I have to buy every year to keep them clean and out of harms way.) Once again replace the 3 screws for safe keeping and use your stubby screwdriver or a small 5/16 wrench wrench and loosen the back hose clamp holding the intake tube and then remove the OEM tube and place it and the Air box in the Volant box for safe keeping.

Now the Volant install is just in reverse but don't tighten anything up until the end. Put the Tube in at the back and just snug the clamp.

Important: Follow the wiring harness from the MAF down and cut the wire tie because the Maf location on the Volant is up and back from OEM and you'll need some strain relief. It's possible to install the Maf without doing this but over time the strain will be to much and the wires or pin will pull out.

Now place the hose reducer on the tube and snug up the clamp. (Don't Tighten)

Install the 2 U-nuts and install the Volant airbox into the hose reducer, line up the holes with the 2 u-nuts, install the two 9/16 bolts with flat and lock washers but don't tighten them.

Mate up the air box with the intake tube so no blue is showing from the Hose reducer and tight both clamps. (This will ensure the best air flow as possible.)

With those clamps tight you can now tighten the back hose clamp and the two 9/16 bolts in the airbox.

Install the Maf and Air Temp sensor with the 3 self tapping screws supplied remembering to install the new gaskets too.

Install the Air Filter, top, make sure the wiring harness is not routed in such a way that it'll chaff and WA-LA! you're done.

Now go eat up some back tires and help line the pocket of OPEC.
Attached Thumbnails
volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-install1.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-install2.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-install3.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-install4.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-install5.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-install6.jpg  

Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10

Last edited by Squid; 07-22-2008 at 10:01 AM..
Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 PM

good info...
Old 05-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Head Flunky

Default Volant 100 mile thoughts

The first thing I noticed was that when I started the truck she was quieter so I walked around to the front of the truck to have one last look around and yes she was in deed quieter.

The second thing I noticed was when I put her into reverse and let off the brake she shot down the drive way telling me I had in fact woke her up and gained a tremendous amount of low end torque. Exactly what a work truck needs.

The third thing I discovered while sitting at a stop light is that my EGT is over 100 degrees lower then before throughout the RPM range. At idle she use to be at around 380 and now she's at 250 to 260.

The fourth thing I noticed while driving 70 MPH heading South into a 35 MPH head wind is that the boost level was 1 or 2 where before it would have been at 6 to 8 and the engine was just smoother from 0 to 70 MPH. The 6.7L Cummins always felt like she was straining and a little rough before but having never owned a Diesel pickup I just thought it must be normal since no one else had mentioned it but I now know it's not normal by any means.

The last thing I witnessed and this is surely going to make some heads shake The annunciator was showing 17.8 MPG, a 1.5 increase over just the Edge at level 1 and 2.3 MPG over stock. and this was into a head wind. I used just 1/8th of a tank of diesel to drive 100 miles and tonight it isn't suppose to be as windy so it'll be interesting to see what the readout says tonight.

I know the Annunciator isn't exact but for reference purposes it does show a change and when I fill up Friday I'll then do the math. My last fill up with just the edge was 16.3.
Quote:
Fuel for thought
I've been filling up twice a week, around 40 gallons total for the last 19,000 miles so if I even see just 1 more MPG out of the intake that will be over $4 a fill up saved or $8 a week at todays prices. That is over $32 a month which means after 15 months I start putting money in my pocket not to mention the fact I don't have to buy an air filter.
It seems to me that with the Volant the truck is using less fuel for the same RPM's (more Torque and HP) thus the lower EGT which in theory would account for better MPG. If it gets over 18MPG I'll shoot a pic. LOL

Old 05-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Squid, you think this is because of the system setup in total or the new filter design...? I put my airaid system on early so I dont have any real values to compare and Im very interested in that filter design.

7.5 3500QC 6.7CTD 68RFE Build date June 2007
Superchips tuner 3808, Boost/EGT Laser Gauge, Airaid cold intake
Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Head Flunky

I was wondering the same thing and luckily the Edge will let you shut it off and just run the Stock setting so tonight I have to fill up on the way home and I'm going to shut the Edge off and see what happens with this 300 miles.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis-a'-vis View Post
Squid, you think this is because of the system setup in total or the new filter design...? I put my airaid system on early so I dont have any real values to compare and Im very interested in that filter design.
Another AirAid guy...thank you!!!! lol
Old 05-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Head Flunky

So here's the skinny. I drove 321 miles and it took 19.2 gallons to fill her up so we're looking at 16.7 MPG. Not bad considering that was 3 days of sustained 35 MPH winds with gust over 50 MPH at times per the local weather guesser and 1 major Thunderstorm.

So when I got done filling up I jumped in the truck and set the edge to stock setting and wow was it doggy. After about 5 miles the annunciator showed only a 15.6 MPG average so I reached over and put the edge back to level 1 (Mileage) and when I did the Annunciator jumped up well over 18.7 in no time. Here's what the Annunciator showed after my 26 mile run back home. This was at 70 MPH with a total of 7 stop signs I have to heed to.

Conclusion: The Edge was developed for optimal use with at least a CAI and probably an aftermarket exhaust too and it seems to be very happy with the Volant.
Attached Thumbnails
volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-mpg-001.jpg   volant-cai-install-review-6-7l-cummins-mpg-002.jpg  

Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Wink Glad to hear some good news!!!

Hello Squid. Man am I glad to see you getting results like that. I thought with the exhaust there wasn't much we would be able to do legally to improve the mileage. The best I have seen on my overhead has been 22 mpg on a short trip, flat level pavement and no wind. I only made one stop and that dropped it to about 20.5. This was with the 5.9 filter, stock otherwise.
When do you plan to do the exhaust??? Have you looked at the MBRP or Banks duals???
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLogan View Post
Hello Squid. Man am I glad to see you getting results like that. I thought with the exhaust there wasn't much we would be able to do legally to improve the mileage. The best I have seen on my overhead has been 22 mpg on a short trip, flat level pavement and no wind. I only made one stop and that dropped it to about 20.5. This was with the 5.9 filter, stock otherwise.
When do you plan to do the exhaust??? Have you looked at the MBRP or Banks duals???
Anyone else getting results like this?
Links